It’s another month which means, it’s another Dolly Sewing Crush!
For the month of August we will be featuring designs from the talented RosalynnPerle.
Who is RosalynnPerle:
Dolly Sewing Crush: RosalynnPerle Project #1
The 1st outfit to kick things off, is a project that nearly broke us, which was a pretty yet tricky Tiered Dress pattern found in Doll Coordinate Recipe 12: Sweet Fairy Tale on page 93.
After a 9 year hiatus of Doll Coordinate Recipe books, the series returned with Doll Coordinate Recipe 12: Sweet Fairy Tale by RosalynnPerle.
There are 18 steps to make this Tiered Dress.
The Tiered Dress pattern fits dolls size:
- 22 cm
The directions for the Tiered Dress are written in Japanese.
There are no images to go with the directions, only an illustration with numbers that correspond to the steps.
Your Layout For Sewing Success
Here is your blueprint for making the Tiered Dress:
- Fold cuffs
- Place lace on cuffs & sew
- Sew elastic on the wrong side of sleeve
- Gather sleeve
- Attach front bodice shoulder center to the center of the sleeve *
- Sew fabric & lining right sides together along the back and neck seams
- Clip collar & turn right side out
- Sew the sleeves to the bodice
- Sew the bodice from sleeve to armpit *
- Sew the sides of the back bodice right sides together
- Fold hem of the 3rd skirt and attach lace
- Gather the 3rd skirt & attach the 2nd skirt
- Gather the 2nd skirt and attach the 1st skirt
- Fold the back edges of the skirt & stitch
- Gather the skirt & sew it to the front of the bodice *
- Attach lace to the neckline
- Sew the skirt to back of the bodice
- Attach button closures to the back
- Add a ribbon to the waist
- Attach a flower to the collar
Hip hip hooray, the Tiered Dress is complete!
Miu looks darling in her dress.
But I’m suffering from PTDS (Post Traumatic Dolly Sewing)
Dolly Insider Skill Level Rating:
I don’t know if the heat was getting to me but this project stared off on the wrong foot.
I had difficulties understanding the directions hence the * symbols you saw in the sewing blueprint.
And made a silly mistake that I hope you’ll learn from.
I scanned, cut and fray checked all the pattern pieces.
And as I was about to sew, I noticed that my pattern pieces didn’t match the illustrations that goes with the direction, and than it hits me . . .
I scanned and copied patterns on pages 93 and 96 which were 2 separate dresses.
How did this happen you’re probably wondering.
Pages 94 & 95 were stuck together, so when I flipped the page to copy the other pattern pieces, I accidentally copied the wrong one on page 96.
Lesson Learned: Place a bookmark or page tabs on the projects your working on and triple check your work.
This was an error on my part, and has no effect on the rating above.
The next mistake I had was with the sleeves.
The sleeve pattern is missing a place on fold symbol, so when I cut it out, I had half a sleeve.
Now for the reason why I rate this pattern 5 sewing pins and what contributed to me getting PTDS is the following:
The instructions seemed like they where all over the place and basic things like sewing the sleeve to the bodice and sewing the skirt to the bodice, where different from what I’m used to.
Maybe it was lost in translation.
But sewing this project left me shaken and lowered my sewing confidence.
I think images would’ve made this project less challenging.
I would not recommend this project to a beginner.
If you’ve sewn this pattern and have any tips please feel free to share, I sense a rematch in the future.
See you next week for project #2
Kat and Tatyana
The Dolly Insider
Stay Up To Date With Keiko Morikawa (RosalynnPerle):
Have an urge to sew RosalynnPerle outfits for your dollies right now? No need to wait, you can grab your copy of the Doll Coordinate Recipe 12: Sweet Fairy Tale book here.
It’s Time For A Giveaway
To ignite your love for sewing tiny, we’re giving 1 lucky winner: 1 Doll Coordinate Recipe 12: Sweet Fairy Tale.
Giveaway runs from August 5, 2020 until August 27, 2020 11:59 P.M. CST.
All you have to do is answer the following question:
Enter your response in the entry form below for a chance to win.a Rafflecopter giveaway
You may earn multiple entries by completing the other entry methods to increase your chances of winning
If you don’t see the entry form try visiting the page from a desktop or a different browser such as Google Chrome. Entry form may not appear on some mobile devices.
- Last day to enter the giveaway: August 27, 2020 11:59 P.M. Central Standard Time
- Winner’s name will be shared on our site and social media platforms
- Winner will be notified via email within 48 hours after the contest has closed. If the winner does not respond to our email within 5 days, another winner will be selected
- If you’re a minor please get your parent’s or guardian’s permission before entering